bankrupt Yugoslavian enterprises

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Tue Apr 13 17:46:07 PDT 1999

I read Chossudovsky's post on the Serbian opposition web site recently posted. ( http://welcome.to/freeserbia ) My only comment is that it makes much of IMF austerity and bankruptcy of Yugoslavia. What it does not say is that the fiscal hemorraging of Yugoslavian enterprise was a chronic problem and was written about even in books published in the 1980s (such as the Cambridge History of the Balkans). The support for non-productive enterprise was one of the "imperialist" features of the system under Tito and immediately after his death, i.e., poor areas paying to subsidize the maintenance of unprofitable industry in richer areas. Poor areas also had some unprofitable enterprises, but apparently felt that they the lion's share was sucked towards Belgrade. This was one of the durable fissures which provided a political economic foundation to the ethnic antagonism of pre-crackup Yugoslavia. The IMF may have made a bad situation worse, but that is somewhat different from saying it made a good situation bad. -gn.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298