Business leaders against U.S. militarism

Wed Apr 14 07:30:47 PDT 1999

The Cold War is Over (Isn't It?) March 10, 1999

Looking for Waste in Government? Start With the Pentagon March 10, 1999

Business group urges cut in defense spending Favors pouring more resources into education

WASHINGTON (CNNfn) - If a group of U.S. businessmen has its way, the government would slash money for defense spending and launch an offensive aimed at educating Americans for a newly defined workplace.

The group, Business Leaders for New Priorities, argues that rather than boost the Pentagon's annual budget to $276 billion next year--$11 billion more than the department requested--Congress should slice defense spending in favor of education spending. Failure to do so could turn America into a second-rate society, it warns.

"It's a question of priorities," Ted Williams, president and chief executive of Bell Industries Inc. in Los Angeles and founder of the business group, said during an appearance on CNNfn Thursday. "What we're talking about is where we spend our money. In this particular situation, when you're giving the Pentagon more money than they are asking for, I think it leaves some questions open." Of course, convincing politicians to cut spending during an election year can be about as easy as pulling teeth from a hungry lion.

But the group, representing more than 35 nationally-recognized executives, plans to lobby Congress, the White House and voters, urging them to reassess priorities and convince them the nation needs to change in order to compete with global business.

Williams said he does not think the nation can afford to maintain current levels of defense spending and also boost support for education. There simply is not enough money for both. He argues it is no longer necessary for the U.S. to spend as much as it does on defense, an amount equal to 40 percent of the world's defense spending.

While conceding that the U.S. needs a strong military, he said providing the average citizen with a solid, inexpensive education outweighs stationing 100,000 troops overseas. But Williams must contend with others who stress the nation cannot risk lowering its guard, particularly at a time when former enemies in Eastern Europe are still undergoing a volatile transition.

That's not enough to convince Williams.

"Our true future depends on the talent we have in this country," he said. "We need to look at (defense spending) and say, 'What are we afraid of? Who is our enemy? And what is national security?' We need to look at what's good for the average American. The quality of education, security, the safety of the streets: those are important."

BUSINESS LEADERS FOR SENSIBLE PRIORITIES 130 William Street, Suite 700 New York, NY 10038 Tel: (212) 964-1109 Fax: (212) 571-3332 e-mail: thefolks at businessleaders.org www.businessleaders.org

Copyright © 1999 Business Leaders for Sensible Priorities, All rights reserved.