Business leaders against U.S. militarism (Camille, too)

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Apr 14 07:58:44 PDT 1999

> "It's a question of priorities," Ted Williams, president and
> chief executive of Bell Industries Inc. in Los Angeles and
> founder of the business group, said during an appearance on
> CNNfn Thursday. "What we're talking about is where we spend
> our money. In this particular situation, when you're giving
> the Pentagon more money than they are asking for, I think it
> leaves some questions open."

Consistent with this, here are some sound words from the much reviled Camille Paglia, in the current Salon:

"What galls me about our undeclared war on Yugoslavia is that the other members of NATO are not footing their fair share of the bill and that American tax dollars are being thrown down a sewer -- or rather into a shambles, a slaughterhouse of medieval animosities that we cannot solve. Every bomb or missile that falls is a gross waste of money that should be going to the restoration of America's inner cities; to primary education and vocational training; to day care, health care and elder care for the economically disadvantaged.

"Political leadership means prioritizing in a world of endless crises. America has much more to fear from a turbulent Russia and a rising China -- whose leaders cannot guarantee the security or aim of their nuclear weapons -- than Europe does from a minor local despot. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, playing out her childhood scenarios (when she was the Czech ambassador's little princess in Belgrade), has systematically misinformed her distracted White House boss and the American people about the ancient, cold realities of Serbian nationalism. Albright's conceit and deceit have damaged the cause of women everywhere who aspire to high office and public responsibility."

Carl Remick