Palestinian NGO analysis (fwd)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 15 07:40:10 PDT 1999

At 05:01 PM 4/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Wojtek,
>
>Thanks for also e-mailing me your comments. The only thing I would add is
>that even though, as you yourself wrote, NGOs come out of and are thus
>opportune tools against capital, this leaves unsolved the problem of who is
>the subjective determination of class struggle? I agree with you that
>utopianism wrongly denies the proletarian of industrial capital and that
>the Left too often denies the 'civil society' (or whatever) of NGOs out of
>by neoliberal capital, but do NGOs really offer a basis for the working
>class to start acting as a class for itself? Now my answer is tentative,
>like Doug's, that there are NGOs and there are NGOs -- and we best beware
>of the NGOs which are definately for capital and against labour (see below).
>
>cheers,

Chris: Thanks for your reply and posting on Palestinian NGOs. My comments follow:

1. I do not believe in "grand strategy." I do not think the "West" has one toward the developing countries, nor do I think that such strategy is possible. A more plausible view is that international capital opportunistically uses whatever means are available to achieve specific objectives - but there is a great deal of contradictions, conflicting interests, unforeseen consequences etc. So the claim that NGOs are a tool of Western infiltration, while certainly true in specific circumstances, cannot be accepted as a general statement.

2. The greater the number of political players, th emore difficult it its id impose a hegemonic rule. It is no coincidence that the ruling elites tend to oppose the proliferation of political parties (cf. x-USSR or the US) - becayse it is easier to control one or two political parties representing generalized interests than several political parties representing specific interests. Following that logic, the greater the number of NGOs, the lesser the chance of hegemonic control, and the greater the chance of the Left to gain politicasl influence, even though many of those NGOs are hardly friends of the Left.

I think in the Arab world that gains special significance, because these copuntries face two perils, the lesser evil of capitalist domination, and the greater evil of Islamic state. IMHO, despite all their shortcomings, NGOs are probably the best, if not only, defence against both.

Besidees, to my knowledge, the influx of foreign institutions to the Arab world at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries was not all bad. It prompted the developmend of local associations - some of them Islamic in nature (generally a bad thing) but other secular and representing occupational interests of different groups (generally a good thing).

3. As to your question re. NGOs becoming the basis for the working class gaining its class consciousness and becoming a class for itself - my answer is tentative yes with several caveats. I think it is impossible to speak of working class in general - there are many working classes divided by gender, race, culture, national id etc. Some of their interests are common, while other are not. Therefore, thinking of one totalizing "one-size-fits-all" working class consciousness is either impossible to attain or smacks of totalitarianism.

In that context, civil society (whatever that is) organization can act as mediating force between general interest of the working class (stemming from its sale of labour power to capital) and specific interests of geographically and historically defined working classes. In other words, they can facilitate communication and mobilization of the working class to fight for its common interests without reducing specific interests and concerns stemming from working in a particular social environement to those generic class interest.

I think is a very practical solution to the old problem of "reductionism" of race, gender, nationality etc. to class - that has been plaguing the Left for some time.

Regards,

Wojtek

> [...]
>Ambassador to Lebanon in a speech praising the accomplishments of the
>institute (Al-hayat, 11/1997), this center graduated all the British
>Ambassadors to the Arab world as well as the head of the British
>Council, the British Ambassador to the United States, and the present
>director of British intelligence!!!
>
>Nowadays, there are dozens of such institutes and Western foundations
>operating all over the Arab world. they are typically American,
>British, French, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Canadian, or Australian.
>They study and work with everything from women's issues to rural
>development, clinics, social research, the environment, political
>parties, democracy, population growth, family structure, the
>constitution (or lack of), and ways of encouraging small businesses,
>but very rarely the transfer of technology for example.
>
>Yet all their activities in these areas are usually subsumed under the
>broad title of WESTERN FOUNDATIONS WORKING WITH LOCAL NON-GOVERNMENTAL
>ORGANIZATIONS (NGO'S). The sheer breadth of their areas of interest
>thus gives them unprecedented access to local writers, professors,
>journalists, women activists, parliamentarians, political parties,
>opposition leaders, and the most distant of Arab regions.
>
>For example, in Jordan, the American Near East Foundation (NEF), which
>has been in the country since 1937, cooperated with USAID and others to
>reach and thoroughly research distant villages like Azznaibah, Alghal,
>Alhamayydeh, and the Wadi Arabah Region.
>
>Another example is found upon reading the publication of AMIDEAST in
>Jordan where we are told that in 1994 alone, over 12,000 people were
>received who were interested in studying in the U.S. We're also told
>in the same publication that AMIDEAST sometimes contacts the parents
>offering advice, and that it has sponsored other programs like an
>information network for Arab women.
>
>But this is really the less interesting part of the picture. American
>institutions like NEF, Fulbright, the Ford Foundation, Rand, Brookings,
>and the research centers of Georgetown and Harvard University include
>think-tanks that influence U.S. foreign, presidential, congressional,
>and defense policy, i.e., they are very governmentally connected. Yet
>they have been given free reign by some of our Arab regimes to operate
>on our soil as they please [at a time when opposition group activity is
>highly restricted - FAV].
>
>For example, the Washington Institute in particular has been very
>active in trying to get the Arab mind to accept "Israel". It prepared
>the main papers of the Madrid Conference and held meetings with dozens
>of Palestinian and Arab writers and opinion leaders to market the policies
>of the U.S. government. In fact, Martin Indyck and Dennis Ross themselves,
>two Zionist Jews who are influential Middle East policy makers, are counted
>among the pillars of the Washington Institute (The Egyptian weekly, Al
Yassar,