Realism in Eastern Europe)

Mon Apr 19 13:33:58 PDT 1999

Didn't Weydemeyer or another Communist in the U.S. design Central Park in NYC. ?

>>> "Michael Hoover" <hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us> 04/18/99 08:07PM >>>
> Weydemeyer was his name.
>
> James Farmelant wrote:
> > As I recall, one of Marx's old friends who joined the 1848 exiles
> > in America, enlisted in the Union army as an officer, eventually rising
> > to the rank of general.
>
> > >1848 German exiles in America and their Marxist influenced thinking
> > >and
> > >participation in the American Civil War.
> > >Tom L.
> --
> Michael Perelman

Joseph Weydemeyer was one of about 5,000 German "48er" emigres to the US who fought in the Union army...a member of the Communist League and a financial contributor to the *Neue Rheinische Zeitung* newspaper of which Marx was chief editor, he fled Germany in 1851...an abolitionist and labor movement activist in New York City during the 1850s, he edited several journals aimed at working class immigrants, supported Lincoln's presidential candidacy in 1860 and volunteered for the Union army in 1861...he was made an artillery captain because of his earlier artillery training in the Prussian military...he became a lieutenant colonel assigned to a command in the Missouri Ozarks...Weydemeyer resigned his command in 1864 following a mutiny and he died in 1866 from cholera...Michael Hoover