The Bourgeois Right to Bear Arms

Margaret mairead at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 21 09:26:39 PDT 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>> To repeat what the cultural anthropologist Marvin
>> Harris said anent resisting Capitalism: fighting back
>> doesn't guarantee success, but it changes the odds.
>> We'll be totally washed up only if too many people give
>> up the struggle.
>
>The greater danger is leftist braggadocio about armed uprisings and
>resistance. It plays right into the hands of the right as a means to
>demonize radicals.

And the Right are powerless without such a thing?? Seems to me it doesn't matter -- the Right routinely demonises the Left regardless.

>Also, as I've said before: The right will always have more and better arms.

That doesn't seem like very good reasoning, to me. It sounds too much like 'burglars can always get into your house, so why bother locking the door?' or 'we're all going to die anyway, so why not ignore dangers?' There's a serious false dichotomy at work there!

=margaret

'...somehow we find it hard to sell our values, namely that the rich should plunder the poor.' -- the late former Secy of State, J.F.Dulles