The Bourgeois Right to Bear Arms

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Apr 21 11:30:32 PDT 1999

From sokol at jhu.edu Wed Apr 21 11:21:13 1999

These folks are not only paranoid, but they really think they

have the god-given right to shoot anyone they do not like or

perceive as threat.

Oh boy, this is fun. I'm no NRA apologist, but I must say that the gun owners I know have a far greater understanding and respect of the various laws that affect gun ownership than you seem to. Shooting someone lawfully is an act reserved for self-defense; there's a long legal history of when you may and when you may not (mostly the latter, I'm sure you'll be glad to know) use deadly force (of any kind, with anything from your bare hands to an "assault-style" rifle [cripes, just kidding, there's no such thing]); the NRA would be the last organization to espouse the viewpoint you present above.

Corrections, in the form of statements by the NRA, welcomed.

-----

I love these little interludes of discussion about gun control on lists like this, because it usually lets me know that people whose postings I've come to read with interest are now truth-suspect. If they throw around statements like that in the other areas they are purported to be expert in like they do about gun control, we're all wasting a lot of time.

/jordan