KLA volunteers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:32:48 PDT 1999

MScoleman at aol.com wrote:

> I understand the legal no-person's land, but then how did the Brigades end up
> in the Spanish Civil War? maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com

Some years ago in the NYT (I think the magazine but do not remember for sure) there was an article on soldiers of fortune, etc. that featured a photograph of a local Central Illinois personage by the name of John Donovan (who once threatened me personally) -- an ex Green Beret officer who boasted of having served in a number of counter-insurgency movements around the world. The photo showed him contemplating on his desk the skull of an alleged communist guerilla he had personally killed. (Probably from Angola or --pre liberation-- Rhodesia.)

So I don't know what the actual law as this is, but clearly it is pretty loose (at least for some) if one can boast about "breaking it" in the pages of the NYT.

Carrol