Castells

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Apr 22 18:31:49 PDT 1999

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Doug Henwood crossposted:

> San Jose Mercury News [no date given]
> Jack Fischer
> [Castells says:]
> "The technology elite could play an extraordinary role, of being
> the critical bridge between the new system of production and
> innovation and the new civilization we are creating."

It must be so nice to be able to appoint oneself to mediate global class conflicts. The intellectual's job is not simply to descry newly civilizing processes, but also newly barbarizing ones. Instead of building bridges, we should be slotting Kuang Mark Seven virus-code into the manifolds of multinational corporate ice (to borrow a terrific image from William Gibson's "Neuromancer").

-- Dennis