give war a chance (cont.)

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Apr 23 08:23:40 PDT 1999

> But if NATO's only strength is that it can bomb forever, then
> it has to get
> every ounce out of that. Let's at least have a real air war.
> The idea that
> people are still holding rock concerts in Belgrade, or going
> out for Sunday
> merry-go-round rides, while their fellow Serbs are
> "cleansing" Kosovo, is
> outrageous. It should be lights out in Belgrade: every power
> grid, water
> pipe, bridge, road and war-related factory has to be targeted.

Thanks for posting this, Doug -- you beat me to the punch.

Reading Friedman's ravings, I was reminded of WWII UK Air Chief Marshal Arthur "Bomber" Harris, who, as the London Times noted, "was a fanatical believer in carpet bombing of civilians." I believe that Bomber Harris said his aim was to reduce German cities to rubble and then to keep bombing "to make the rubble bounce." A man after Friedman's heart.

Carl Remick