Charles' well thought out demand for anti-racism and fascism

Fri Apr 23 09:32:44 PDT 1999

In message <s71df7ba.040 at mail.ci.detroit.mi.us>, Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> writes

>>Outlaw the KKK and Nazis !

As usual Charles does not let the facts interfere with his belief in censorship. It emerges that the two killers were not Nazis or KKK members at all, but Goths. Their message of hate was not derived from the websites of the far right, but the heavy metal lyrics of Marilyn Manson, their inspiration was not fascism, but Natural Born Killers and the Basketball Diaries.

Chas. As usual, Jim Half-right Heartfield has it half right. The murders were committed on Hitler's birthday. The group was known for wearing Nazi insignia around school. Kelley posted a report that one killer used to yell "Heil Hitler" when he did well in bowling. There are a number of other evidences of a Nazi fetish in the news reports.

Let this be a lesson to all those who, in trying to make fascism into a taboo forget that alienated youths will naturally seek to break taboos: their affection for Hitler was not an attachment to the politics of the far-right, but a desire to offend the staid and stale shibboleths of their elders.

Chas.: Like somebody is going to listen to you for a lesson on this. Fascism is already a taboo , hopefully. One lesson is fight racism harder. Jim H. is speculating that their affection for Hitler had nothing to do with the politics of the far right. This is a form of denial of how widespread racism is. (((((((((((((((((

If Charles is to be consistent he should demand the banning of Oliver Stone's Film, Manson's records, and, above all, BLACK CLOTHES (Doug Henwood take note).

Now, while I could support such a ban on aesthetic grounds, I think a basic respect for civil liberties should suggest that the crime was shooting people, not the cranky cultural references that surrounded it. And since killing people is already a crime, no new law is required. ((((((((((((((((((((

Chas.: To be consistent , I only need to propose exactly what I am proposing. Depends on what is in the movie, but Oliver Stone has no background or reputation of promoting racist fascism. Jim H. proposes an distorted, exaggerated and false example of what I am saying (black clothes) in order to attack a strawman, because he has such a poor argument against what I am really saying.

Charles Brown