race & murder

Fri Apr 23 09:39:27 PDT 1999

Wojtek, I agree that what I wrote was over the top (it was just the mood I was in; if even raising the racism of these kids is taboo, I just wanted to undermine the taboo by 'brainstorming' on the race angle--that may have sent me off the deep end). I am not sure what it means to blame screwed up social relations for these thugs--what do you mean by this? It's also not quite clear to me what we are trying to do by explaining why they did what they did or what kinds of explanations we will count as adequate and what the *latent functions* such validated explanations are meant to serve.

But I stick to my first line for now:

>> But these kids were not anti conformists; they
>>were the the most violent expression of the basic premises of middle class
>>youth society: misanthropically individualistic, racist, and computer and
>>video game obsessed.

Thanks for the honest evaluation, Rakesh