the blair doctrine

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 23 09:48:12 PDT 1999

[this bounced for an address kink]

From: "christian a. gregory" <driver at nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Subject: the blair doctrine Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:04:22 -0400 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2014.211 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2014.211

chris wrote:

>I guess Doug is still stuck in seeing the Third Way as some comptemptible
>form of social democracy delivered in sound bites.

oh yeah, i love this rhetoric of being "stuck," as if being critical of tony blair's cynical crony statecraft were a sign of ideological obsolesence, and as if our only job was to keep up rhetorical jonesing of folks like blair. we mustn't fall behind the fashions of rhetoric, since that will mean we are out-of-date, like bad milk, or de passe, like the welfare state. never mind, of course, the rhetorical and political manipulations needed to make it possible to imagine social democracy without a welfare state, or a social democracy that flagrantly and routinely defies international law.

but doug's right: it's not even social democracy. it's a plutocracy, run by corporate bankers and institutional investors with help from social scientists like castells and anthony giddens.

christian