Video Killed the Radio Star

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 25 11:58:36 PDT 1999

digloria at mindspring.com wrote:

>i keep finding that folks with left leanings have a hard time
>seeing them as disenfranchised and dispossessed.

That they weren't but what's wrong with an analysis showing that American capitalist society fucks up even its privileged (or the lumpenbourgeoisie) too - that we've got a country so atomized, bored, and competitive, with intense hostility lurking under our well-practiced sunniness that it regularly produces explosions like this. If you're not hoppy, it's *your* fault; if you're unemployed or poor, you're either a slacker or lack the proper resume writing skills; if you feel damaged, buy a self-help book or try a new diet.

Doug