White Trash & "Gummo"

Jennifer A Young CLEANBYRD at prodigy.net
Sun Apr 25 23:56:18 PDT 1999

Has anyone seen the movie "Gummo". It is one of the most disturbing pieces of cinema I have witnessed lately. I rented it. In Xenia Ohio, teens who some might describe as "white trash" wander around town generally being degenerate and violent. The cat harvesting was more that I could bear, and the glue sniffing was pitiful. It seemed like these teens were suffering from fatal boredom, ignorance, and feelings of hopelessness. The eerie thing about the movie is I have known people with this mentality. For instance, neighbors of mine, who my brother and I called "the animals", mutilated a doberman pup and killed it. They decided to take the tail lopping in to their own hands instead of a vets. The father took a butcher knife, which was not sterile or sharp enough and sawed the tail into a mess. These folks made my brother and I uncomfortable, because the teens, as well as the dad were in a perpetual grapple /boxing match. I'm no sociologist, pyschologist, or anthropologist, but these folks are a part of American Culture and deserve study beyond the "Roadkill Cookbook". People in Indiana, where I am from, have a long standing joke which attributed Indiana's "rednecks" to the migration of folks from Kentucky to here. People are a trip! Kelly's comments just reminded me of this.

-----Original Message---- From: digloria at mindspring.com <digloria at mindspring.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Sunday, April 25, 1999 12:49 PM Subject: Re: suicide note