Video Killed the Radio Star

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sun Apr 25 23:58:19 PDT 1999

chuck, this is an interesting take. but i don't think it's a question of distinguishing between morality and politics. in The Grapes of Wrath, the question 'who do i kill?' is not a specifically moral one in the sense that you imply. the question marks the historical shift between personal command and monetary command, and the frustration that this evinces.

which is why, the question for us now becomes how do we enact justice? shooting sprees, the death penalty, the killing of thousands in Rwanda, even fantasies of bumping off stock brokers all circulate within a conception of justice as that of settling accounts, where injustice is seen as MEASURABLE. the point is I think to insist that injustice cannot be measured and that justice is not calculable. which is why no calculation (numbers dead, amounts of money as compensation) is ever adequate to the injustice.

I was hoping that we would begin to draw some connections between the discussions we've had here on the death penalty, genocide, revolutionary violence, and the school shootings. so: I'm still asking the question: what is an understanding of justice which is not a repetition of the capitalist reduction of everything to that which can be measured?

Angela --- rcollins at netlink.com.au