Carl and Paul Henry on Ma(t)r(i)x

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Apr 26 06:14:18 PDT 1999

> > Carl's claim and your reassertion are not obvious to me.
>
> Not obvious what we're saying or not obviously true?
>
> > His claim about the web being the revenge of the literate
> > (revenge against whom?) is both factually incorrect and
> > rather curious given his general suspicion of images.
>
> I think it's a case of naively appealing optimism. It reminds me of
> 1992 or 3. I wish I could share his simple faith, I really do.

I haven't reentered this thread since my original posting because, frankly, I think most movies today are so stupid that they're not worth arguing over *at all.* I believe that Jonathan noted in his original posting that "there's a war on," and that, IMO, is what should really be the dominant focus of discussion on this list right now.

My faith in the Web has not been deepened by this war. I thought the WWW would prove a great tool for mobilizing opposition to the war, but it's clear the folks who run NATO have been very successful keeping public opinion on their side, antiwar cyberistic outrage notwithstanding.

Carl Remick