Robert Kaplan's praise of western imperialism

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Mon Apr 26 06:31:50 PDT 1999

> In this week's Nation, William Hartung says in passing that
> "One of the
> more egregious examples of this new interventionism was
> Robert Kaplan's
> recent call for a revival of 'western imperialism' to save
> the Balkans and
> prevent a new East/West divide."

The times they are a-changin' ... and fast! We have not only gotten over the Vietnam War Syndrome but seem to be getting over the Spanish-American War Syndrome, as well; outright, bare-assed imperialism has made a comeback. Had no idea that the century President Billy Bob the Blow-Job King intended to build is "bridge" to was the 19th.

Carl Remick