Race & Murder

Mark Rickling rickling at netzero.net
Mon Apr 26 15:39:21 PDT 1999

EmaChissit at cs.com wrote:

>Mark Rickling, indicating an astoundingly low comprehension level asks:

Thank you for the personal insult.

Those of you who equate fascism, nazism, or even neo-nazism with
>some sort of necessary connection to hatred of jews, black, etc are utterly
>ignorant of history. Firstly, history has demonstrated that Nazism wasn't
>just about targeting Jews, but also about Catholics, Communisits, gypsies.
>How ignorant for anyone here to assume that contemporary forms of Nazism
>*must* and only *must* be about racism which is then magically defined as
>hatred, oppression, slurs, bigotry against people of color and Jews. Very
>interesting how race is essentialized in this kind of talk. Utterly
>astounding. This is what I hear you say, because they wore Nazi symbols
and
>admired Hitler, then obviously they were racists and hated blacks and
>Hispanics and, I guess, Jews, though no mention has been made of that. Let
>me just remind you that Nazism or Neo-Nazism does rest on what can be called
>racism in so far as it's an attempt to cleanse the world of groups seen as
>threatening to the purity of the honored and valorized group. Your
reasoning
>here is dangerous. It demonstrates a complete ignorance of history. If
>we've learned anything, then we should have learned by now that racism
>operates in such a way as to socially construct certain groups as if they
>were a separate race that has identifiable physical and social
>characteristics. However, there is no necessary connection as Angela
>demonstrates when she speaks of "genticizing" white trash and rednecks in
the
>film Gummo. The truly scary thing is, some of you on this very list
>stereotype rednecks and yahoos and don't even see how you do it or see the
>problem with it.

I don't know what it means to say that there is not a "necessary" connection between fascism and racism (btw, hatred of Jews is usually referred to as "anti-semitism" and not "racism"). There is of course a strong historical connection between neo-naziism and white supremacy in the United States. I simply cannot fathom why someone would want to obscure this connection through talk about what is "necessary" and what is not.

>From the Denver Post.....More to suggest the horrible possibility that this
>act was motivated by a complex set of factors.

I never suggested that a complex set of factors did not "determine" this event. Of course it did. I'll leave as an exercise for you to explain why the simple assertion that racism was a factor contributing to the shootings evokes so much hostility and what seems to me to be willful misunderstanding.

mark