bad language

Mon Apr 26 08:35:29 PDT 1999

James, you are free not to read my posts--I am honored that you were reading them previously, and I will continue to read your missives which I have praised highly (though I am unsubbing tonight for three weeks). I have said before and I will say again that I have found your posts among the most stimulating and insightful I have encountered in cyberspace (and of course the work of your colleagues on the topic of race is exceptionally insightful; just last night I came across Frank Furedi's *Silent War: Imperialism and the Changing Perception of Race* [London: Pluto and New Brunswik: Rutgers, 1998' and began reading it immediately;and I know you made a substantial contribution to Kofi Hadjor's *Another America: The Politics of Race and Blame*).

If you want an apology for my swearing at you, it is offered enthusiastically. I was swearing not so much at you as any attempt to get me to empathize with these killers for their anti conformism, iconoclasm, anomie or torment; it is also not possible for me to characterise their racism as only shock value epithets.

yours, rakesh