The People's Right to Bear Arms

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 27 13:49:25 PDT 1999

At 02:57 PM 4/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Again, forgive me if I'm treading on ground that's already been covered; I
missed many posts in this thread while working on deadline. but my understanding is that four guns were used, and has anyone made note of the fact that three of them were shotguns/hunting rifles of the sort that would not be affected by any of the usual sorts of gun control legislation?

While availability of guns is undoubtedely a factor, I would not stretch it too far. UCSC criminologist Dane Archer did a comparative study of response to potentially threatening and conflicting situations among US and British high school students. He used vignettes (descriptions of hypothetical scenarios) invoving marital infidelity and street demos, ans asked the rs to supply the resolution of conflicts.

What transpired was a huge gap the USers and the Brits. The Brits' soultion generalli involved showing emotions, negotiations, talk etc. whereas the USers would generally provide straightforward quotes of Hollywood dramas - gory mayhem (using machine guns, chain saws, etc.) or truly fantastic scenarios, such as "aliebs killing everyone." I a word, a proud product of our entertainment industry.

If the only choice I faced was between ban on guns or ban on Hollywood, I'd probably choose the latter. Or better yet, use the former to get rid of the latter.

Wojtek