Henwood's query and a note on different racisms.

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Tue Apr 27 14:54:13 PDT 1999

Henwood: How much play is the Hitler's birthday connection getting? I was just at a meeting full of urban sophisticates and only one or two out of a group of ten were aware of it.

Nowell: I've seen it in the three papers I usually read (NYT, LAT, and our local Times Union). But this is extremely screwed up Nazism if that's in fact what it is. Just like it's hard to pin the "theory of a race war" on the Tate/LaBianca murders (all whites) way back when in L.A.

I note in passing that not all racisms have the same flavor. Gobelin was one of the major 19th century theorists of "race" and supposedly an influence on Hitler and other 20th century types. But Gobelin's writing all accepted the *inevitiability* of racial interbreeding. I call it entropic racism: he thought that it was *normal* for one race to conquer another and then interbreed with the conquered race. Most of the historical basis is on the barbarian invasions post-Rome. In fact most of his attnetion to "race" is focused narrowly on differences among what we would call "white Europeans." Gobelin's conclusion was that *inevitably* the human species would become mongrelized, and tend away from heroism towards mediocrity. There is not a shred to indicate that he thought liquidiation (of inferior races) would be preferable. Incidentally, he also thought that the French were mongrelized vis a vis the Germans (even though he was French).

Nazi racism, vis a vis Gobelin's variant, is profoundly radical, becuase it proposes that *something be done.* Goblin would have argued that it was "unscientific" to expect a conquering race not to interbreed with the subject race(s). -gn.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298