Sillygism

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Tue Apr 27 15:25:22 PDT 1999

That's absolutely true, Doug, and as it happens I agree with all Carrol's premises as well. The problem is that at that level of generality, it becomes a fairly banal pronouncement about Littleton specifically. As I noted in an earlier post (and sorry for so many today, but hell, i only post every three months), these kids' sense of what they hated was enormously malleable--if press accounts are to be believed, they were both racist and anti-racist, naziphiles and naziphobes, at different points in the past year. The common denominator was their complete alienation, and their presumption of the right to destroy whatever struck them as *different* and therefore annoying. (I suppose one could argue this mindset was shaped by a deeply racist culture, and that would make sense; I'm just not sure it's true that American racism is really a necessary precondition for where these kids--and all the others like them who are mainly damaging *themselves*--have ended up.)

A quote from Harris's web site ca. 3/98: "I am the law, and if you don't like it, you die. If I don't like you, you die."

---------- From: Doug Henwood Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 1999 4:27 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Sillygism

Jim heartfield wrote:

>Carrol is a person
>
>Carrol lives in the United States
>
>Carrol is therefore permeated with racism?

Insofar as you can't have race without racism, it's everywhere James. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but you can't live in the U.S. and not be embedded in a racialized social system.

Doug -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 2357 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19990427/b88b3d57/attachment.bin>