Sillygism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 27 16:19:54 PDT 1999

Steve Perry wrote:

>That's absolutely true, Doug, and as it happens I agree with all Carrol's
>premises as well. The problem is that at that level of generality, it
>becomes a fairly banal pronouncement about Littleton specifically.

Yeah, but it's always worth looking at is considered banal or obvious, since (as someone said) those are the most ideological things of all. I think Charles took the argument too far, but there is a tendency (among white people mostly) to play down racism just because people aren't donning sheets & burning crosses the way they used to.

Doug