gunz & Luvox

digloria at mindspring.com digloria at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 29 08:01:46 PDT 1999

just snipped some interesting stuff on the TEC semi-auto handgun, Harris's use of the psychotropic drug Luvox....

Illegal gun's seller found By David Olinger, Peter G. Chronis and Mike McPhee Denver Post Staff Writers

April 29 - Authorities have found the man who sold an illegal handgun to the teenagers who killed 12 of their classmates and a teacher last week at Columbine High School....Jefferson County Sheriff John P. Stone confirmed the attorney called his office Tuesday and was put in touch with the lead investigator on the case.... Three of the four guns - two shotguns and a rifle - used in the April 20 attack were provided by Klebold's prom date, 18-year-old Robyn Anderson.

The fourth gun, a TEC-9 semiautomatic, which can no longer be made in the United States, followed a circuitous route from its Miami manufacturer to the two teenagers, The Post has learned. Its maker, Intratec, sold it five years ago, about the time the Brady Act banned further manufacture of the TEC-9 and other assault weapons. It was purchased by Zander Sporting Goods, a firearms wholesaler in a small southern Illinois town, which then sold it to a Federal Heights gun store called Just Guns. The owner of the now-closed store said he then turned the pistol over to an associate to sell on consignment at a Colorado gun show....

"It was my gun," said Royce Spain, who closed his store, Just Guns, at 2695 W. 92nd Ave., No. 3, about a year ago. Spain said he personally didn't sell the gun. "Someone working for me did," he said. The gun was sold at a gun show by a friend, whom Spain declined to identify.

"When you surrender your license, all the guns you have left you have to transfer into your own name," Spain said. "I was not able to sell them, so he sold them for me." Spain said he sold a lot of TEC-9s and they were a popular item, although he said he is "not in favor of assault weapons. I didn't like some of the clientele who were buying them. They sort of pushed me out of the gun business. I do believe there is a limit to what we should own. Who are you going to be fighting - an army? We're in America - not Yugoslavia."

[well there you go, everyone who has a gun, owns a gun, or even deals in guns is an NRA fanatic. wow.]

Meanwhile, sources said Harris, who was rejected by the Marine Corps five days before the rampage, had been taking the prescription drug Luvox. The Marine Corps denied his application for enlistment because he was taking the medication and had lied about it in an earlier screening interview.

Luvox is prescribed for obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression. Although it is approved by the FDA in the United States only for treating obsessive-compulsive disorder in children and adolescents, it is widely used as an antidepressant in Europe, according to doctors. The drug, which is among the 10 most prescribed psychotropic drugs, is from a family similar to that of Prozac. It works to make more serotonin - a neurotransmitter chemical that helps to regulate mood and intrusive and repetitive thoughts - available in the brain. If Luvox is suddenly stopped, symptoms quickly intensify and the patient experiences a relapse of the illness.