Video Killed the Radio Star

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Apr 30 01:46:06 PDT 1999

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, rc-am wrote:

> revolutionary violence, and the school shootings. so: I'm still
> asking the question: what is an understanding of justice which is not
> a repetition of the capitalist reduction of everything to that which
> can be measured?

It is that which, as Adorno put it, is nonidentical or incommensurable with the Law, that equivifying and homogenizing principle of identity which is, as the cliche puts it, nine-tenths to do with property. It's significant that this aporia is rooted in the very heart of the term "justice" -- the word itself can mean a member of the legal profession, as well as the revolutionary impulse of creating fairness where there is none. So my thoroughly unsatisfactory non-answer to the question would be, only through the ruthless critique of the unmeasurable would we be able, momentarily, to grasp the immeasurable.

-- Dennis