PLEASE ACCEPT RACIST ATTACKS WITH HUMOR

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 30 10:23:54 PDT 1999

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez wrote:

> Henry C.K. Liu wrote:
> >
> > Max, unable to call a spade a spade
> > because there is no feasible leftist basis for his position, hides behind racist
> > "humor".
> >

> Please.
>
> --
> Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034

Please what?

You did not see the exchange below, or you approve of racist remarks. Should I just thank Max. Save me from Leftist bigots!

HCKL

In posting to lists written in English and populated predominantly by Americans, I often have to remind myself of American/English-speaking cultural and language imperialism. American humor is generally built on crude personal taunting, making fun with people's names, appearances and non-Americaness and above all equating violence with fun. One can see that in American cartoons in which laughter is sought by having a character beaten up, blown to pieces or endure bloody accidents.

For example:

Max Sawicky wrote:

> To H:
>
> Economizing on keystrokes:
> Henry, C. if you can get a K.Liu.

I fail to see the humor in that.

I suspect American's can see humor in cilivians getting killed because modern warfare in which civilians are the targets have yet to appear in America except on TV screens. Americans love WWII movies because to them such movies are entertainment no different than a football game. Most Europeans and Asians who have lived through the horror of war as helpless civilians take a very different view.

and the following:

Max Sawicky wrote:

> >I've gotten worse from HCKL in the past and didn't complain, but I'm not
> gonna bother him any more; he takes the fun out of it.

Give an example or evidence what you got from me in the past that justifies your making fun of my name. BTW, if you had pronounced my name LIU properly, you silly pun would not have worked. The name is not LU, it is LIU, accent of the i, as in li-u. It is a very famous name in China. It belongs not just to me personally but to my family the history for which traces back to the 7th century. Anyone slightly familiar with Chinese history would recognized the name and know its proper pronounciation. Your idea of fun is offensive.

HCKL