Question for Max

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Fri Apr 30 12:21:57 PDT 1999

Max, I wonder what you think would happen if Russia drew up a similar "peace plan" for Turkey and its Kurdish population? 30,000 Russian troops occupy Southeastern Turkey for 3 years, run its government, select its leaders, manage its economy, with free range over the rest of the country if need be -- all to "end the suffering," of course. No negotiations, just an ultimatum: sign or be bombed. After all, you can't negotiate with those butchers.

Offered these choices, what would the Turks do? What would the *Americans* do? Would the Kurds be better off? Would we dismiss concerns about sovereignty as a smokescreen to distract from the human rights abuses?

In light of these considerations, ask yourself again: Has the U.S. acted reasonably? Was Rambouillet done in good faith? Were the options for diplomacy exhausted?