Question for Max

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Fri Apr 30 12:52:52 PDT 1999

This is very relevant to a conversation I had with my aunt and uncle the other day. They were in from out of town and took me out to dinner. At some point we got into a big argument over the Kosovo bombing (they brought it up, not me, although perhaps I am still an ingrate for not dropping the subject).

I got my aunt to admit (and my uncle didn't protest her position) that it was OK for the US to intervene in foreign societies if they were oppressive. In other words, its OK to put a stop, forcefully if necessary, to various forms of repression around the globe.

I figured they surely wouldn't support that position, but they stuck to it.

I was so dumbfounded I didn't know what else to say. I was stunned by their arrogance. I basically blanked out and was reduced to saying "but.., but.., but.."

I was particularly surprised because on domestic issues they are quite liberal. It really brought home the extent to which people internalize the "US is good" propaganda bullsh*t. Even when they've already rejected some of it, the rest still has a powerful grip.

Having thought about this further, I wish I had used the argument put forth in the article Bill Lear posted a couple of days ago. I'd never seen the argument made so lucidly before, although of course it makes perfect sense - namely that this principle of intervention should be rejected because:

1) of power asymmetry, i.e., only the powerful can intervene in the affairs of the weak. The powerful will not tolerate the meddling of the weak (i.e., the US wouldn't stand for Cubans bombing Miami as a means to put an end to sweatshops, for example).

2) There is always some abuse you can point to in virtually ANY country as a justification for intervention. So in practice this principle acts as a rationale for powerful states who want to intervene in the affairs of weaker nations, and can provide a cover for invervention for other reasons.

Brett