Labour Party and the Unions

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Aug 3 11:21:03 PDT 1999

> . . .
>Why not just admit, you have no political-economic clue?

Clue to what, exactly? I think I have a fair idea of the social and economic forces at work at the moment. To master nature, you must learn to obey her, Bacon said. . . .

I don't doubt your grasp of social/economic forces presently at work.

To respond to you and Alex at the same time, I think it's incongruous for a variety of marxism, radicalism, or what-have-you to forego ANY framework, be it syndicalist, anarchist, self-management, social- democracy, etc. for social reconstruction or worker self-organization.

One immediate shortcoming of the stance is it tends to reject progressive reforms as insufficient or wrongfully 'welfarist', in favor of a placeholder. This dovetails superficially with some of your positions on technology, race, etc. (most of which I agree with, as noted previously) to ill political effect. The practical outcome is to validate the right, which I don't think you want.

At any rate, you are released from the dunking stool.

cheers, mbs ("You can't torquemada anything . . . ")