KPFA and the Berkeley City Council

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Tue Aug 3 12:16:22 PDT 1999

Arthur Pullman writes:

I went to this. (Just read this message now). The people on the Berkeley city council sure must hate each other. They had barely suppressed animosity towards one another. The mayor kept kind of giving certain council members and audience members evil death glares, and then they shamed her into apologizing for changing her position and then taking credit. Diane Woolley looks like she's acting, somehow, saying what she knows we want to hear. ----------

They do hate each other. Shirley Dean is an asshole. I always vote against her, but she is well entrenched. By Berkeley standards she is a neo-liberal lackey for the hills and the local petty business mentality. She is very untrustworthy for any sort of serious public interest. My district is represented by Maudel Shriek, who at one time was pretty radical--but she has sadly faded with age. I am not sure she exactly follows what goes on and probably acts out of old reflexes--well, close enough for most council votes, I hope. Besides I have to vote for her because she usually runs un-opposed.

I have been unforgivably lax in my KPFA support--I stopped by last week during a delivery run and talked to people on the street to check up on events. Then for the big rally this weekend, I went fishing. I hated myself of course--but then I caught a great salmon -- 31"/18 lbs, enough to eat off of until the middle of August. Tonight, I marinated a couple of steaks in teriyaki sauce and green onions and then bbq'd them. Last night I cooked a couple in olive oil, garlic, sweet basil, lemon and white wine.

But for leftist punishment, I started the intro to Adorno's Negative Dialectics. I hope this makes up for my remissions.

Chuck Grimes