direct action

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Wed Aug 4 13:56:32 PDT 1999

>I just heard "What Do I Get" by the Buzzcocks in a car commercial.
>
>The culture wars are now officially over.

As the lyrics of the song make it quite clear that the singer feels singularly disgusted with what they have instead of what they actually want ('a lover like any other'), we clearly have here a brilliantly subversive assault on the commodity fetish by a closet comrade in the advertising industry.

There's still a culture war, mate - and our interpretations are definitively in the front line, however else Saatchi and Ford might prefer it.

There, I said something optimistic ... feels a bit weird ...

Cheers, Rob.