Darwin...

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Aug 4 15:25:44 PDT 1999

You are confusing epistemology and ontology. The distinction between what exists and how we can know what exists. The object denoted by the word "orange" exists independently of human cognition but the word we use to refer to the object is a part of a social creation viz. language. "Oranges" will fall from trees regardless of what humans think or create, objects obey the laws of science no matter what words we use to refer to the objects or the laws they obey.

This falls apart at both the smallest and largest scales of space-time as well as in the study of ecosystem boundaries. The Aristotelian-Tarskian model of truth for scientific propositions is kapoot.

ian