Talk About TALK

CounterPunch sitka at teleport.com
Wed Aug 4 15:49:26 PDT 1999

[from Jim Romenesko's mediagossip.com]

. .

[According to the writer, The New York Post

was planning to run this story but killed it

when Tina Brown unexpectedly granted the

paper an interview at the last minute.

Editors at The Post felt that to run this

piece as well would have constituted

overkill.]

.

Is Tina Brown the Worst Boss in New York?

By Toby Young

If you happened to be among the select 800

invited to the launch party for Talk last

night, and you saw a group of people who

looked as though they'd just returned from a

war zone, don't be alarmed. It was only the

magazine's staff. Indeed, if they resembled

battle-hardened veterans they're probably

well on their way to recovery by now.

Compared to working for Tina Brown, a tour

of duty in Kosovo is a walk in the park.

"It was an extreme amount of work and we

bonded like veterans in a foxhole," says one

staff member. "This was a crazy close,

there's no doubt about that."

Among the casualties was Sam Sifton, an

editor who left The New York Press for Talk

last year. On Thursday, July 16, a day

before the magazine closed, he suffered from

a severe bout of nausea and spent much of

the afternoon in the bathroom. "An entirely

appropriate response," muttered one

disillusioned Talk contributor.

Of course, Sifton wouldn't comment about

this.

"Don't ...don't know...don't know what

you're talking about," spluttered Sifton

when contacted earlier this week. "Don't

know, don't know, don't know. Sorry man."

Click. Dialtone.

One reason for his reticence may be that

everyone connected with Talk has had to sign

a confidentiality agreement. (A better name

for the magazine might be Omerta.) That's an

unusual request for an editor to make but

Tina has a long tradition of making unusual

demands of her staff. There was a famous

incident at Vanity Fair when she instructed

her then assistant, Brenda Phipps, to get

"Kim" on the phone. She meant Kim Meehan, a

stylist in the fashion department, but her

assistant put her through to Kim Heron, a

senior editor, by mistake.

"Kim," Tina barked, "I need a new bra."

"I was in the middle of editing something,"

remembers Kim Heron, now the editor-in-chief

of Wired. "I think I said, 'What?' and then

she kind of repeated it and I said, 'Tina,

this is Kim Heron,' and then we both burst

out laughing."

To those accustomed to working for Tina, the

long hours Talk's staff had to put in came

as no surprise. "I remember that for one

stretch of four months I was never home

before the end of the eleven o'clock news,"

recalls New York Times Book Review editor

Chip McGrath, who served for a time as the

deputy editor of The New Yorker. "It was

insane at times but it was also exciting."

Tina's normal method of editing a magazine

is to commission far more material than she

needs, then postpone the decision about what

to include in the final mix until the very

last moment. For her writers and editors,

this naturally causes a great deal of

stress. At Talk, however, the problem was

exacerbated by the fact that she didn't have

any trusted consiglieries whom she could

seek advice from.

"She was going round and round in circles,

spiralling out of control," says one

insider. "A piece would be in, then it would

be out, then it would be back in again. She

couldn't make up her mind about anything."

At the suggestion of Howard Lally, Talk's

Managing Editor, she brought in Micahel

Caruso, the former editor-in-chief of

Details, to lend a hand. However, the

problems persisted.

"She was still tinkering with the mix right

up to the wire," confides one Talk writer.

"As recently as two weeks before closing

they hadn't decided what was going to be in

the magazine."

According to this writer, the chaotic

atmosphere in the office meant none of the

editors knew what the others were doing. "It

was like the White House or something," he

says. "Everything was incredibly

compartmentalised. People were operating in

exclusive cells."

The fact that the 47-year-old Brit suffers

from "persecution mania," in the words of

one insider, didn't help. Last June, she

threw a staff party at her $3.7m town house

at which she gave a strange speech. It was

meant to boost morale but it left many

people scratching their heads.

"She said something like, 'We're about to

begin the summer from hell and there will be

all these naysayers and critics who don't

understand what we're trying to do,'"

recalls one person who was present. "There

was a real kind of defensiveness and

paranoia." He went on to compare Talk's

offices to the sinister partnership at the

centre of The Firm, John Grisham's legal

thriller. "I just wanted out," he says.

Tina Brown is in the unusual position of

being an editor who doesn't really like

journalists. They're troublesome and

untrustworthy and, according to a close

associate of hers, if she could dispense

with them altogether she would. One New

Yorker writer actually went so far as to say

she hates them.

"I once heard her screaming, 'They want to

be fucking artists and I want them to be

reporters.' In fact, they just wanted to be

writers and she just wanted them to be

obedient."

However, according to another colleague from

her New Yorker days, the members of her

staff who suffer the most are those in the

art department.

"Tina is her own art director and is

spectacularly abusive of people in the

visual department who work for her," he

says, "I mean really quite shocking. Yelling

at them, abusive language, you know, 'This

is fucking dull, this is fucking boring,

what's wrong with you? Go get me something.

I want it in four hours, I want it in two

hours, I want it in thirty minutes, I want

it now.' That kind of stuff."

Indeed, Tina mistreated her staff at The New

Yorker so badly, one editor was shocked to

see people crying when she left last year.

"They were suffering from Stockholm

Syndrome," jokes Daniel Menaker, who served

as her Fiction Editor from 1992-94 and is

now the Senior Literary Editor at Random

House. "They had begun to love their captor.

They were grieving at the departure of their

tormentor."

Not everyone on Talk's staff will have met

the boss yet. One long-standing minion of

Tina's recalls that on her first day at work

at Vanity Fair there was an impromptu

leaving party for someone who'd been at the

magazine for years. "When she found out they

were throwing a party for her she said,

'Does this mean I'll finally get to meet

Tina Brown?'"

Of course, working for the most famous

magazine editor in the world does have its

compensations. John Heilpern, now the

theatre critic of The New York Observer but

once a commissioning editor at Vanity Fair,

has been dining out on the following story

for years.

In 1985 Tina asked him to commission a short

story for the Christmas issue and he managed

to persuade Isaac Bashevis Singer to write

one. He turned it in and a few days later it

came back to him with the words "Beef it up

Singer" scrawled on the bottom in big red

letters.

"I had to gently explain to Tina," laughs

Heilpern, "that 'Beef it up Singer' was a

recipient of the Nobel Prize for

Literature."

- ENDS -

Return to MediaGossip.com

___________________________________________________________ ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER? Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL WRITERS UNION! The only labor union committed to improving the economic and working conditions of all freelance writers. For more information visit our web site <http://www.nwu.org>, call (212) 254-0279, or email <nwu at nwu.org>.