Paleoconservatism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Aug 7 18:22:16 PDT 1999

Carl Remick Said:

[Szamuely is one of Taki's stable of columnists in NY Press - the

following is from the current issue -- and is, I gather, a

conservative. But this is an excellent piece, whatever its provenance.]

<snip>

Chris Caldwell referred to Szamuely a few weeks back as a "paleoconservative." I thought this was just another term for "moss-backed" or "super" conservative, which seemed a bit odd, since Szamuely didn't seem that bad -- in fact he's up there with Caldwell as one of the two conservative columnists I actually enjoy reading -- and Caldwell didn't seem to be using it as an insult. But now I see, in the newest New Left Review, that Dan Lazare (in his reply to Michael Lind) refers to a school of thought calling itself paleoconservatism, as if were simply a term of self-description. He said it is

<quote>

associated with the magazine Chronicles, published in Rockford, Illinois, which, month after month, flails away at global capitalism, international democracy and modernist revolutionaries from Oliver Cromwell onwards.

<endquote>

Anybody know about these people? Anybody ever read the magazine? Anybody know any names associated with it? Szumuely certainly does have a distinctive perspective that I hadn't been able to put my finger on before.

Michael

PS -- I was kind of amused to read in a conservatism FAQ that they described _Telos_ as _Neopaleoconservative_. They also noted that Thomas Fleming, editor of Chronicles, was now on Telos editorial board. What was amusing is that there is now seems to be no difference at all in the case of Telos from the oldest and lowest term of Telos abuse and the newest and highest form of approbation.