Paleoconservatism

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 01:42:36 PDT 1999

In message <Pine.PMDF.3.96.990808191649.539024700A- 100000 at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>, Dennis R Redmond <dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> writes

> But mass-culture in Adorno's
>day, all the way until the Sixties, really, was a dreadfully oppressive,
>racist, mind-bendingly patriarchal and stupefying affair; what we see
>nowadays -- the occasional black and white film, for example -- is just
>the high-quality stuff which survived.

I think this is a pretty one-sided account. You can't reduce a culture to its ostensible political views. Post-war mass culture had its strengths and its weaknesses. It's a generationally biased view to see everything up to the sixties as crap, and for that matter to see the sixties as such a great advance. But most of all, mass culture - however innovative - is always limited by the restricted cultural lives of its working class audience.

> The counter-culture was the
>prison-break from this particular form of mass-culture, but Adorno died
>before he had a chance to reflect seriously on this.

I rather wish that he had lived to pass his usually crabby views on the counter-culture. (Certainly the correspondence between Adorno and Marcuse on the student revolutions recently published in New Left Review is a foretaste of what he might have said.) I don't share Dennis' lionisation of the counter-culture. My mother, when she was social secretary at the Reading University once booked an unknown band called the Rolling Stones. I'm sure it was a very exciting time, and all that. But let's face it, the counter-culture of the Sixties is in power today.

Bill and Hillary Clinton, Tony Blair, Germany's green foreign affairs officer, Rudy Deutshke and Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Regis Debray

- today these people are all part of the establishment.

And what did the counter-culture bequeath to us:

an oedipal distrust of fathers,

a culture that celebrates victimhood,

politicians who are not afraid to cry,

a disdain for theory,

a worship of sensation and intuition,

humanitarian intervention,

the vicious prejudice against the East inherited from 'Western Marxism',

a hatred of mass consumption and the consuming masses,

a paganistic hostility to scientific enquiry.

-- Jim heartfield