Paleoconservatism

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Aug 9 06:11:39 PDT 1999

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:42:36 +0100 Jim heartfield <jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> writes:
>In message <Pine.PMDF.3.96.990808191649.539024700A-

>I rather wish that he had lived to pass his usually crabby views on
>the
>counter-culture. (Certainly the correspondence between Adorno and
>Marcuse on the student revolutions recently published in New Left
>Review
>is a foretaste of what he might have said.) I don't share Dennis'
>lionisation of the counter-culture. My mother, when she was social
>secretary at the Reading University once booked an unknown band called
>the Rolling Stones. I'm sure it was a very exciting time, and all
>that.
>But let's face it, the counter-culture of the Sixties is in power
>today.
>
>Bill and Hillary Clinton, Tony Blair, Germany's green foreign affairs
>officer, Rudy Deutshke and Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Regis Debray
> - today these people are all part of the establishment.

Deutshke would I think I have some difficulty being a part of the establishment in that he died in around 1980 having drowned in his bath while suffering an epileptic seizure. Whether he would have followed the paths of his fellow '68ers we can only speculate. He was as I recall very close to Ernst Bloch who seemed to have treated him almost as a son.

Jim F.

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.