hacking the borderline [CROSS-L] Press release Bordercamp 99

elena spectra at rousse.bg400.bg
Mon Aug 9 02:38:51 PDT 1999

Just a couple of notes before switching back to lurking.

>> The summer camp with around 500 activists of the campaign "No one is
>> illegal" was launched on Saturday, 8 August, with a music parade and a
>> concert.
Nothing wrong with a party, especially in symmer, yet aren't there more effective places to protest and draw attention to the problem? That same Spiegel, at least.
> "We have come to discuss how the system of
>exclusion
>> and border control increasingly forces people who are trying to get
>into
>> Europe into illegality."
The use of "Europe" here is a point in itself: the Czech republic, Poland, Bulgaria, the Ukrain ARE, and have always been in Europe. To place them outside it is to reinforce the very argument the protesters are opposing. If "border control" stands for entrance restrictions policies, then that's an acceptable formulation. Otherwise, it's just a part of the story, and coupled with ONLY the problem of people "forced into illegality" it shifts attention, again, to the effect rather than the cause of this situation - the European apartheid (don't like the expression but can't think of better). Because many more people are denied in a most humiliating way the right to move freely, being incriminated as "potential violators".

>> Whilst the bands musically tackled the themes of power, borders and
>> communication, a Camp newspaper was distributed amongst interested
>> passers-by. Participants in the camp include anti-racist and
>> anti-fascist groups as well as musicians, internet activists, DJs and
>> artists from Germany, the Czech Republic, France, the United Kingdom,
>> Bulgaria, from the Ukraine and Russia as well as the organisation of
>> African refugees "The Voice".
>>
>> A group of Polish activists was greeted at the border in the
>afternoon.
>> They reported on their action days at the Ukrainian-Polish border,
>from
>> where they had just come. During one week, the participants in the
>camp
>> will be present in the area where the borders between Poland, the
>Czech
>> Republic and Germany meet, in order to oppose their resistance to the
>> border policies and to undermine a certain racist frame of mind.
If it helps change at least some one, then it's worthy; but you can't solve the master problem like this, I'm afraid.