Keynes and the Bastards

Tue Aug 10 05:36:46 PDT 1999

Jim H noted:

>The philosophical outlook that they came up with was one that was
>sceptical to all such dogmas, framed by the philosopher GE Moore, of
>whom, Keynes says, that where students these days are impressed by Marx,
>his guru was GE Moore (in My Early Beliefs).

yes there is a very readable and enjoyable study of Keynes by Piero Mini who discusses the importance of Moore; most impressive is Mini's reconstruction of Keynes' critique of economics as a modern form of Platonism.

What I had in mind was Keynes' early influences but his infamous chapter 22 where as Skidelsky notes he endorsed the anti usury ideas of medieval schoolman, found fragments of wisdom in the mercantalist obsession with accumulating precious metals (interpreted as an attempt to drive the rate of interest down), commended Mandeville and Malthus for extragavant consumption, honored Gesell for the proposal of stamping money and enrolled Major Douglas in "the brave army of heretics". Harrod deplored the chapter as a "tendentious attempt to glorify imbeciles."

>From Robt Skidelsky, John Maynard Keynes: Economist As Savior. p,569

rb