Brown Stuff

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Aug 11 20:05:50 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

> In Britain, as in America, the greater part of farm goods are produced
> by agri-business. Small farms are largely inefficient. In consequence,
> they are going out of business.

Small farms' inefficiency in the U.S. has a lot to do with their lack of market power. They pay more for inputs and get less for their products. In addition, university research systems for decades have catered to the needs of large farmers.

In California, large farms get more than their share of subsidized water. Cheap water is the key to "efficiency" in our state. Any idiot can make a profit with cheap water.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu