Auguste France

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu Aug 12 04:37:04 PDT 1999

> Can anyone help me with a quote and/or reference (and date) for France's
> dry observation that a rich man is as absolutely (and therefore equally)
> disallowed to sleep under bridges as a poor man. I gotta do a piece on
> equity, and it strikes me as a great place to start.
> Rob.

Anatole France: The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under the bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

of course, the rich *need* do none of the above

when the popular Nobel Prize winning novelist died, surrealists walked behind his funeral procession shouting insults to his memory, *Un cadavre litteraire!* Michael Hoover