Hearsay on abortion

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 15 09:05:10 PDT 1999

frances bolton wrote:

>Peter wrote:
> >
> >What bothers me about Cockburn - and I'm no expert - is his apparent
> >meanness. Calling Doug an "urban weenie."
>
>But Doug really *is* an urban weenie.

What, exactly, is a "weenie"? And does it serve in this particular fragment of discourse to place the original speaker, AC of Petrolia, Calif., in a presumably hegemonic authentic pure rural masculinist/individualistic discursive standpoint, disparaging the interpellated "weenie" as the inhabitant of a disparaged realm of impurity, artifice, gender ambiguity, and weakness?

Inquiringly,

Doug