Flash: Dozens injured as RUC attacks Ormeau residents

Rkmickey at aol.com Rkmickey at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 19:15:16 PDT 1999

Below is a participant's account of some of the recent events in Ireland just posted on the

(Irish) Republican Bulletin Board at URL http://www.irlnet.com/forum/rmlist/index.html Some photographs are available at the URL given below. K.M. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --

Posted by banaltra on August 16, 1999 at 02:24:05:

I was only able to get up about ten pictures so far and the bulk of them I pick up at 9AM in the morning. Anyhow, you'll see what confronted us in Derry and I also have some shots from the Ormeau protest as well. The LOCC protest took place just before dawn and the Derry one was at half eleven. By 8AM the RUC had beaten our people off the Ormeau road and those who didn't get beat got run over by landrovers as the RUC drove them right up to the protest and inched them forward until the actully started to run over peoples feet, arms and legs, it was horrible! Then as peole screamed and tried to get out form in front of the landrovers, then they got batoned when they started to get up, that's what you see in the picture.

ok the url is:

http://members.tripod.com/SavetheGFA/apprenticederry.htm

and remember to check back Monday when I scane in the majority of the pictures which are about 40 or so and I also have some of the town burned. I hope everyone is writng to the parades commission on their reckless ruling that created this atrocity. In Derry it's been years since we've had the entire town closed off like this and the BA back on our streets, and I can tell you that loyalists were unreal the night beofer the march, they actually came into the bogside and we saw two of them in uniform at about half eleven at night, the cheeky bastards had a car waiting for them. We dont know what they had planned but they left quickly. Still, they are being very provocative and at midnight they gathered on the walls facing the bogside and sang "the sash" and fired the old cannons.

ok then, more pictures tomorrow, hope you like them and they give you some perspective of events here, thanks for caring and keep it up, we need all the help we can get here:)

all the best, b