Pulling the Plug On Mumia

Maria Gilmore Maria.Gilmore at gte.net
Sun Aug 15 19:27:32 PDT 1999

This message is forwarded from QLeft:

For Immediate Release: Call the Department of Corrections at 717-975-4865

Pennsylvania Department of Corrections Pulls the Plug On Democracy!

Mumia Abu-Jamal describes State-Sanctioned Censorship

Waynesburg, PA. August 13, 1999. Yesterday the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections terminated a phone call during which Mumia Abu-Jamal was being interviewed by Amy Goodman on "Democracy Now", Pacifica Radio's national daily newsmagazine. Approximately seven minutes after the call began a prison guard rushed up and pulled the phone cord out of the wall. According to prison policy Mr. Jamal is allowed two fifteen minute phone calls per week.

Mr. Jamal describes the event:

"In pulling the plug on the show "Democracy Now" with Amy Goodman this morning, the Department of Corrections demonstrated for all the world to see the true face of censorship. As we began speaking about the imminent release of sixteen Puerto Rican political prisoners a guard rushed up, pulled the cord out of the wall and announced, "This call is terminated." When I demanded why he replied, "The order comes straight from the top." From the very top of the DOC we find contempt for the concept of freedom of speech. Once again the State reacts to my speech by the act of silencing. I promise you it shall not end there."

For Freedom of Speech and for every other freedom,

From Death Row,

Mumia Abu-Jamal

Amy Goodman can be reached at 212-209-2812