Gore on Kirkland

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 16 09:06:26 PDT 1999

[The encomia continue...]

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:51 -0400 From: The White House <Publications-Admin at Pub.Pub.WhiteHouse.Gov> URL: http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/uri-res/I2R?urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov.us/199 9/8/16/5.text.1

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Vice President ________________________________________________________________________ For Immediate Release August 14, 1999

STATEMENT BY THE VICE PRESIDENT

Tipper and I were deeply saddened to learn of the death of Lane Kirkland.

Lane was a tireless fighter for working families. He had a grand vision of a strong and diverse union dedicated to securing not simply economic justice for working men and women everywhere, but social justice for all. By finding strength in diversity, by working for reunification, by focusing on his principles and not on obstacles, he made that a vision a reality.

But Lane's dedication to the rights of working families was not limited by national boundaries. He called for justice around the globe, working for change and fairness in Chile, China, Cuba, Poland and South Africa.

Lane Kirkland was truly a great man.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Irena, and his family.

###