Flash: Dozens injured as RUC attacks Ormeau residents

Rkmickey at aol.com Rkmickey at aol.com
Mon Aug 16 19:54:01 PDT 1999

"David Jennings [MSAI]" wrote:

>If we are to take "single incidents" as
>bombings, assasinations, riots, then the single worst incident was
>a no-warning car bombing in Talbot Street Dublin on May 17 1974, which
>claimed 30 lives. (I get this from Tim Pat Coogan's "The Troubles".)

>Perhaps the intent is to not count violence in the Republic, which in
>itself is telling. We generally "count" NI related violence in England.

Yes, this was the worst single incident (and another bombing attack took place on the same day elsewhere in the Republic, in Monaghan, on the same day). There are recent legal efforts to examine the alleged role of British security services in these bombings. A BBC account follows. K.M.

Saturday, August 7, 1999 Published at 17:42 GMT 18:42 UK

Government to be sued over bombings

UK government faces allegations of collusion in bombings

The UK Government faces legal action over alleged collusion with loyalist paramilitaries in two bomb attacks in the Republic of Ireland. A group calling itself Justice for the Forgotten says it wants to ascertain the alleged role of British security forces in two bomb attacks in Dublin and Monaghan in 1974.

Thirty-three people were killed in the bombings and more than 200 were injured in what was the largest loss of life on a single day during Northern Ireland's Troubles.

The legal action follows a recommendation from an Irish government commission to establish a private inquiry to investigate the bombings.

Relatives of the victims were angered by the recommendation, contained in a report into the suffering of Irish citizens due to the Troubles.

The group has also questioned the role of the Gardai, the Irish police force, in the investigation of the incidents. No one has ever been charged in connection with the bombings.

The group's legal adviser, Greg O'Neill, said: "We have to get to the truth of why these bombs were exploded, who ordered it and why the Gardai inquiry was compromised."

The group intends to lodge fresh claims against the United Kingdom with the European Court of Human Rights and the Irish courts within the next few weeks.

Unprecedented step

Victims of the atrocity are to institute individual proceedings against the Government for damages, including exemplary damages for the loss of lives and for the personal injury sustained by the wounded.

"This is a legally unprecedented step," said Mr O'Neill.

"However relatives and victims have been advised that is a necessary step and it is intended that the cases against the United Kingdom will be prosecuted with vigour."

The report by the Victims' Commission, headed by former Irish Deputy Prime Minister, John Wilson, recommended that a private inquiry be headed by a former Irish supreme court judge.

He said that the findings would be made public later.

Announcing the report on Thursday, Mr Wilson said that some witnesses who may be prepared to give their evidence in private, would not give it in an open forum.

Further video and audio links at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_414000/414419.stm