Anarchism / Marxism debates

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Tue Aug 17 08:25:52 PDT 1999

Hey Bill,

I said, in response to Max:
>>Currently I'd support a democratic plan a la Albert and Hahnel. Although
>>there are market-like aspects to their plan also. ...

You asked:
>Which market-like aspects to you see? From what I have read, they are
>adamantly opposed to any market-like aspects, as one of their central
>arguments is the built-in bias and alienation associated with even
>limited markets. Perhaps I've missed something...

I was simply referring to the way their plan balances supply and demand for various goods to reach an overall consumption plan. Supply and demand, in the form of workplace production plans and individual consumption plans, still determine output levels, which is the "market-like" aspect I was referring to.

This is about as far as the similarity goes. Technically you still have one dollar one vote, but since wage rates are equalised, you essentially have one person one vote when it comes to consumption. Also, since workers propose production plans, the supply side takes into account how difficult things are to produce, and consumers have access to qualitative information on production techniques, and are better able to understand the implications of their choices. Balanced job complexes serve the same function. All of this is very non-market-like, and I would welcome these changes.

Brett