Anarchism / Marxism debates

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Aug 18 14:39:36 PDT 1999

> Charles: In discussing anarchism, Lenin made the joke that communists
> agree with the anarcists on abolishing the state, but just not in 24 hours.

Engels wrote in "On Authority" (1873):

"...the anti-authoritarians demand that the authoritarian political state be abolished at one stroke, even before the social conditions that gave birth to it have been destroyed.'

and in "On the Occasion of Karl Marx's Death," (1883), Engels wrote:

"Marx and I, ever since 1845, have held the view that one of the final results of the future proletarian revolution will be the gradual dissolution and ultimate disappearance of the political organization called *the State* (emphasis Engels)... The anarchists reverse the matter. They say, that the Proletrarian revolution has to *begin* (emphasis Engels) by abolishing the political organization of the State."

anarchism/marxism, what a quaint topic for lbo-ers to ruminate on... Michael Hoover