Gentrification-Sprawl

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Wed Aug 18 14:30:41 PDT 1999

Charles, the politics of sprawl into this county will have a negative impact on minority political clout. This is something that I have been pointing out to minority political pals of mine. If you continue to have a big influx of white city and suburbanites into the exurbs it will change the political complexion of the area. This is already shaping up in a scheme to change county government into a five elected district represenative system as opposed to a three generally elected commissioner system. Any poor minority services legislation would be voted down by 4-1 or best case 3-2 margins if the 5 district plan is adopted.

People living on 5 acre mini-estates and commuting to Cleveland or its western suburbs will have different agendas than the working poor and charity cases of this area. That's the real politics.

Tom