Anarchism / Marxism debates

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Aug 19 06:32:31 PDT 1999

> >What in god's name would a "revolution" in the U.S. look like?...

> Have we forgotten that the City of London was stormed on June 18th?
> Why do we forget this?

I haven't forgotten, Chris. It presented Brits as an inspiring contrast to the stupefied American public.

> June 18 had a very high level of reforming planning behind it with
> sophisticated tactics about street publicity, theatre,
> protest actions.

One of the high points of my life was participating in the antiwar demonstrations in Washington, D.C., during November 1969. These certainly caught the attention of the American public and helped mobilize opinion against the Vietnam war. Gratifyingly, it also scared the shit out of the Nixon Administration. I recall that Attorney General John Mitchell at one point gazed down on thousands of protestors from the roof of the Justice Department and said that it looked liked Russia during the Revolution.

Carl